How to Make Latte At Home Without An Espresso Machine
A latte is a coffee drink that is made with hot steamed milk and espresso, and it’s usually milkier than a cappuccino. If you’re a coffee enthusiast, you will likely want to enjoy a cup of delicious, creamy and tastier latte customarily. A hot, frothy latte can help refresh your morning and keep you focused.
With simple equipment and steps, you can have your dream latte drink ready for serving.
What you require
- Espresso or strongly-brewed coffee
- Milk of choice (nonfat milk)
- Additional ingredients; syrups, flavorings or whipped cream
- Wide, shallow coffee cup
- Frothing tool (spoon or milk frother)
- Jar with lid
Steps: How to Make Latte at Home without an Espresso Machine
- Brew your espresso or strong coffee – You only require a strongly brewed espresso. You can brew the espresso using as an espresso machine or a capsule coffee brewer such as Nespresso. Also, you can use an Aeropress to brew a strong coffee. Ensure to not to dilute the coffee or espresso with water. If you aren’t sure about the number of cups, you can start with 1/3 cup of espresso. However, the amount of espresso should match your needs.
- Froth your milk – pour your milk into a jar and then fill it to halfway. Close the lid tightly to prevent the ingredients from spilling. Now shake the jar hard until the milk is frothy. It’s good to stop when the milk has doubled in volume; that can take about 30 – 60 seconds.
- Microwave your milk – open the jar and then microwave for 30 seconds. You will realize the foam will rise on top of the milk. The heat from the microwave helps stabilize the foam.
- Pour the warm milk into your espresso – pour your coffee or espresso into the wide, shallow coffee cup. Then use a spoon/frothing tool to hold back the milk foam as you pour the milk into the espresso. Ensure to pour a volume of milk that meets your individual needs.
- Add foam – use the spoon to scoop as much milk as you want onto your latte (the blend of espresso and milk). You can garnish your latte the way you like it. You can sprinkle nutmeg or cocoa powder on top of the foam to garnish it.
Flavoring your Latte
If you want to enjoy a sweet or flavored latte, you can stir your desired syrup with the hot milk, before adding foam. You can add almond extract, vanilla or maple syrup to your milk to make your latte sweet. You can also use other spices and flavors to make your latte unique and tastier.
You can explore your creativity in latte making by adding chocolate chips, cocoa powder or caramel syrup. This way you will be your own barista and save time and money since you won’t have to visit the coffeehouse.
If you are a latte fan who doesn’t love milk, you can still enjoy the Americano as an alternative. When preparing Americano, you mix your espresso with warm water instead of milk. Hence, you won’t require milk as part of the ingredients. Instead of froth, you can add whip cream to the top of your drink. The whip cream will melt and add sweetness to your coffee.
Advantages of Making your espresso at home
- You’ll save your money since you won’t have to visit the coffeehouse. If you were to pay $4 for a cup lattes, you would spend more than $2900 per year. Thus, you will save a significant amount of money by brewing your latte at home.
- Making your latte at allows you to customize your flavors. You have the chance to add personalized spices and flavorings such as chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla and almond extract. You also in the position to determine the volume of latte that you want to prepare for serving.
- The art of making espresso at home helps you to explore your creativity in brewing coffee. You have the chance to be your own barista.